Christian Joseph R. Cumagun
BSA 93, University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) (honor roll)
MS Plant Pathology 98, University of the Philippines Los Baños
Dr. Sc agr. (Agricultural Sciences) 2004, University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart, Germany (magna cum laude)
Associate Professor 3, Crop Protection Cluster, University of the Philippines Los Baños
Fields of interests
fungal genetics, molecular plant pathology, biological control
introduction to crop protection, pest management, introductory and advanced plant disease control, postharvest pathology, research methods in plant pathology
molecular analyses (AFLP, RAPD, UP-PCR, rDNAITS1, western blot), mycotoxin analyses (ELISA), field and genetic statistics, pesticide calibration and application computer Literacy (MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, SAS, mapping programs), excellent in written and spoken English, conversant in German
1. Cumagun, C.J.R., Bowden, R.L., Jurgenson, J.J., Leslie, J.F. and Miedaner, T.2004. Genetic mapping of pathogenicity and aggressiveness of Gibberella zeae (Fusarium graminearum) toward wheat Phytopathology 94:520-526.
2. Cumagun, C.J.R. and Miedaner, T. 2004. Segregation for aggressiveness and deoxynivalenol production of a population of Gibberella zeae (Fusarium graminearum). European Journal of Plant Pathology 110:789-799.
3. Cumagun, C. J. R., Rabenstein, F. and Miedaner T. 2004. Covariation between fungal colonization and deoxynivalenol content of Gibberella zeae (Fusarium graminearum) in wheat. Plant Pathology 53:446-453.
4. Cumagun, C.J.R., Parzies, H.K., and Miedaner, T. 2005. Molecular diversity within lineage 7 isolates of Fusarium graminearum from an international collection. The Philippine Agricultural Scientist (accepted).
5. Cumagun, C. J. R. and T. Miedaner. 2003. Field and greenhouse aggressiveness of Gibberella zeae (Fusarium graminearum) in wheat. Journal of Plant Diseases and Protection 110: 554-559.
6. Cumagun, C.J.R., Bowden, R.L. and Miedaner, T. 2002. Segregation of aggressiveness in a crossing population of Fusarium graminearum. Journal of Applied Genetics 43:39-44.
7. Cumagun, C.J.R., Hockenhull, J. and Lubeck, M.2000. Characterization of Trichoderma isolates from Philippines rice fields by UP-PCR and rDNA-ITS1 analysis: Identification of UP-PCR markers. Journal of Phytopathology 143: 109-115.
8. Cumagun, C.J.R. and A.T. Vitor. 2005. Boric acid controls Colletotrichum gloeosporioides in mango. Journal of Tropical Plant Pathology 41: 77-80.
9. Cumagun, C.J.R. and Ilag, L.L.1998. Enhancing the efficacy of Trichoderma harzianum Rifai by chitin amendment against sheath blight of rice. Philippine Phytopathology 33: 72-86.
10. Cumagun, C.J.R. and Ilag, L.L.1998. Parasitism of sclerotial bodies of Rhizoctonia solani Kuhn by Trichodema harzianum Rifai and Penicillium oxalicum Currie and Thom. Philippine Phytopathology 33: 17-26.
11. Cumagun, C.J.R. and Lapis, D.B. 1993. Note: Practical approach in mass production of Trichoderma spp. as a means of biological control against sheath blight of rice. Philippine Agriculturist 76: 251-257.
12. Lapis, D.B. and Cumagun, C.J. R. 1994. Improved use of Trichoderma as a means of biological control against sheath blight of rice: An Exploratory study. In: M. F. Rifai et al. (eds). Biology and Control of Crop Pathogens. SEAMEO BIOTROP, Indonesia. pp.169-177.
Fusarium genetics and mycotoxins funded by UPLB, East West Seed Company, PhilRice, and International Foundation for Science, Sweden (2005-2008)
Fusarium genetics in wheat funded by the University of Hohenheim and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in collaboration with Kansas State University (2000-2004)
Induced resistance in subtropical fruits for the prevention of decay initiated from quiescent infecting pathogens funded by USAID in collaboration with Agricultural Research Organization, Israel (1999-2000)
Crop residue decomposition and Trichoderma for disease management in rice-based cropping systems funded by USAID in collaboration with International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) (1996-1998)
Major Awards/Trainings Abroad
Vicente Sinco Professorial Chair (2006)
Winner, Philippine National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST)-Du Pont Talent Search for Young Scientists Award (2005)
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) PhD. Scholarship (2000-2004)
Best M.Sc. Thesis (Finalist), Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society of Agriculture (1999)
UNESCO Research Fellowship at the Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Copenhagen, Denmark (1997)
Pest Management Council of the Philippines Best Undergraduate Thesis in Plant Pathology (1993)
International Fusarium Training Workshop at the University of Sydney, .Australia (1994)
Paper/ Poster Presentations
Participated in several international scientific conferences (Japan, Denmark, Germany, Poland, USA, Austria) and national conferences in the Philippines
Membership in Honor Societies/ Scientific Organizations
Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society of Agriculture, Sigma Xi The Scientific Research Society, American Phytopathological Society, German Plant Medical Society, German Society of Plant Breeding, Mycological Society of the Philippines, National Research Council of the Philippines, Philippine Phytopathological Society