|Brief bio-data of Dr.S.Sriram
Name Subbaraman Sriram
Date of Birth 17.2.1970
Present Position Scientist SS (Plant pathology)
Project Direcotorate of Biological Control,
HA Farm Post, Hebbal,
Bangalore, 560024. India.
Educational qualification M.Sc. (Agri.) in Plant Pathology,
Ph.D. Plant Pathology
Work Experience : 8 years
1. TNAU Agri-Merit Scholarship by Tamil Nadu Agricultural University during graduation (1987-91)
2. Junior Research Fellowship by Indian Council of Agricultural Research (First Rank at national level) during M.Sc. (Agri.) degree programme in Plant Pathology
3. Senior Research Fellowship by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research during Ph.D. programme in Plant Pathology
· Institute project on the extension of shelf life of Trichoderma formulations
· Institute project on the Molecular characterization of Trichoderma isolates with reference to chitinase and glucanase production.
Work done at Previous place of work (CTCRI):
· Project leader in a research project entitled "Biological control of taro leaf blight caused by Phytophthora colocasiae"
· Worked on elicitor-induced resistance for the management of taro leaf blight, characterization of the pathogen etc.
List of Publications
Total number of publications : 43
(i) Full length paper in referred scientific/ professional journal : 15
(ii) Research short note/ seminar/ short communication/ symposia/
paper/ popular articles/ book chapters Short communication : 1
Symposia/seminar : 22
Book chapters (reviews) : 4
(iii) Extension bulletins : 1
Research articles in Journals
1. Sriram, S., Raguchander, T., Vidyasekaran, P., Muthukrishnan, S. and Samiyappan R. 1997. Genetic relatedness with special reference to virulence among the isolates of Rhizoctonia solani causing sheath blight in rice. Journal of Plant Disease and Protection (Zeitschrift fur Pflanzenkrankheiten und Pflanzenschuts). 104: 160-171.
2. Sriram, S., Raguchander, T., Babu, S., Nandakumar, R., Shanmugam P., Vidhyasekaran P., Balasubramanium, P. and Samiyappan, R. 2000. Inactivation of Phytotoxin produced by rice sheath blight pathogen Rhizoctonia solani. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 46 (6): 520-524.
3. Shamugam, Sriram, S., Babu, S., Nandakumar, R., Raguchander, T., Balasubramanian, P. and R. Samiyappan. 2001 Purification and characterization of an extracelluar a-glucosidase protein from Trichoderma viride which degrades a phytotoxin associated with sheath blight disease in rice. Journal of Applied Microbiology. 90: 320-329
4. Sahu, A.K., S.K.Maheshwari, S.Sriram and R.S.Misra (2000). The effects of temperature and pH on the growth of Phytophthora colocasiae. Annals of Plant Protection Sciences, 8(1):112-114.
5. Sriram, S. and Sabitha Doraiswamy. 2001. Seed transmission of brinjal mosaic disease caused by a strain of cucumber mosaic virus. Vegetable Science 28(2): 160-162.
6. Sriram, S., Babu, S., Nandakumar, R., Raguchander, T., Balasubramanium, P. and Samiyappan, R. 2002. Differential expression of defense-related proteins of rice and sheath blight symptoms in response to active and inactive Rhizoctonia solani toxin. Archives of Phytopathology and Plant Protection 34(5): 293-306.
7. Babu, S., Nandakumar, R. Sriram, S., Jaisankar, R. Shanmugam, V., Raghuchander, T., Balsasubramanium, P. and Samiyappan, R. 2002. Relationship between sheath blight development and phytotoxin production by Rhizoctonia solani mutants in Rice. Acta Phytopathologica et. Entomologica Hungarica. 37(1-3): 109-118.
8. Sriram,S. Misra, R.S., Sahu, A.K. and S.K.Maheswari. (2003). A cell wall glucan elicitor induces resistance in taro against Phytophthora leaf blight. Journal Of Plant Disease Protection (Zeitschrift fur Pflanzenkrankheiten und Pflanzenschuts). 110(1): 17-26.
9. Misra, R.S., S. Sriram, M. Nedunchezhiyan, C. Mohandas. 2003. Field and storage diseases of Amorphophallus and their management. Aroideana 26: 101-112.
10. Babu, S., Nandakumar, R., Sriram, S., Raguchander, T., Balasubramanian, P., Samiyappan, R. 2003. Phytotoxin production and rice sheath blight development by Rhizoctonia solani mutants derived from gamma irradiation. Czech-Mycology. 55(3/4): 261-271
11. Sahu, A.K., S.K.Maheshwari, S.Sriram and R.S.Misra 2000. Effect of different media on the mycelial growth of Phytophthora colocasiae. J. Root Crops 26(1): 54-56.
12. Jeeva, M L., Hegde, V., Makeshkumar, T., Sriram, S., Nair, R.R., Edison, S. and Mathur, N 2004 Rust of Queensland arrowroot (Canna edulis) caused by Puccinia thaliae: a new record for India. Plant Pathology. 53(2): 261
13. Shivalingaswamy, T.M.S., Sriram, S., Byju, G. and Misra, R.S. 2002. Production constraints in tuber crop cultivation in North-Eastern states. J. Root Crops. 28(2): 64-68.
14. Sriram,S. Misra, R.S., Sahu, A.K. and S.K.Maheswari. 2003. Rhizobacteria: Potential biocontrol agents against taro leaf blight pathogen Phytophthora colocasiae. J. Root Crops. 29(1): 50-53.
15. Misra, R.S., Sriram,S., Sahu, A.K. and S.K.Maheswari. 2004. Effect of spacing on severity of Phytophthora leaf blight and yield of colocasia. J. Root Crops. 30(1): 31-36.
16. Sriram,S. Misra, R.S., Sahu, A.K. and S.K.Maheswari. 2004. Spatio-temporal class analysis for the spread colocasia leaf blight caused by Phytophthora colocasiae. J. Root Crops. 30(1): 14-23.